Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes we can!


Well today is a historic day! And luckily for all of you back home the results mean that I will not have to jump ship in Japan and will be returning to the US as previously planned.

The ship did a wonderful job of keeping us connected to the real world. Early in the morning we had CNN radio and websites to keep us up to date. Luckily halfway through state results we managed to get a live stream of MSNBC. This meant that we were able to see McCain's concession speech and Barack Obama's victory speech. Wow, just wow. We all got a kick out of the people in the far corners of the world huddled around a radio line. I'd say about 75% of the ship are ecstatic, 5% are apathetic, and 20% are either bitter, silent, or in hiding (no offense meant to McCain supporters). As for me, I can't wipe the grin off my face.

This trip has shown me just how much the rest of the world cares about our elections, and just how much the rest of the world wanted Obama elected. I am so hopeful about how this election will impact our image in the rest of the world now. This is a historic moment for us, but it is also for the rest of the world, validating their ideas that the current government of the United States is not the voice of the people. They have treated us with respect and love despite their lack of support for our President. But in two months we will be able to show them a new face of the US.

Tomorrow morning we dock in Hong Kong, and then I am off to explore China!

No comments: